Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
John Alexander Blyth <BLYTHE@B...>
Date:  Wed Mar 14, 2001  3:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Countertenor hogs

Perhaps to save the CTs from fuming at this one. (though I'm sure you will!)
Octavian *is* always sung by a woman. So is Baba the Turk, Cherubino etc.
Opera isn't just about sound, and a male presence with a sound we've come
to associate with female vocalism is quite appropriate for all roles
originally written for castrati.
There is a kind of light tenor in the British Isles and France only a
couple of steps away from a CT sound, which has slightly different flavours
(depending on which wee country we're in), and considerable antiquity, and
there exist many Mediaeval and Renaissance choral works which seem to
require adult male altos.
My own opinion is that, though Daniels is no Kathleen Ferrier in the
repertoire that they share, he is nonetheless a consummate artist whose
subtlety and taste please me a great deal. Of course your opinion is
different.
If I might raise an additional point: though many CTs are not gay, there
is a sense of ambivalent identity in the CT sound which has struck a chord
with that community, some portion of which has mightily supported opera on
this continent: the presence of the CT answers a need for inclusiveness in
a society which, tentatively, haltingly - and perhaps ready to reverse at
any time - tries to find an open place for people formerly consigned to the
shadows.
This latter aspect naturally, dimly or clearly sensed, is liable to arouse
a spectrum of reaction from bafflement to hostility in those who find it
hard to accept all this plurality of human types. john