Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  6:27 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] David Daniels speaks on the CT voice/Was it falsetto?

"Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...> wrote:
> From: "David Grogan" <dgrogan@e...>
> > Well, I must say, as a baritone, that sort of countertenor
> production has never bothered me.
>
> Just to clarify, I had no problems when I was singing in two
> different ranges. The difficulty would come if I had to sing
> the same range in the different mechanism...
> Still probably not entirely clear.

Very clear!

I know of a CT who actually did fill in for the indisposed Bass, and
did both sets of arias... all on his debut night as an Alto! Needless
to say, he got a standing O for that :-)

The tenors who can have CT and tenor careers are the ones who already
bring a lot of chest into their CT production, and are used to that
transition (like Werner Marschall and Russell Oberlin). Of course,
these guys would never sing Tonio or anything like that...

Tako

emusic.com