Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
"Colin Reed" <colin-reed@l...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  1:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] David Daniels speaks on the CT voice/Was it falsetto?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
To: <vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com>
Sent: 12 March 2001 19:27

> Thanks, Ken! Very interesting. I have to say I can utterly relate. When I
> have to sing 1st tenor for even a few minutes (the Episcopalian ATB chorus
> I was in often switched to TTBB for certain anthems), it takes a while for
> my brain to rewire into alto mode again. It is a very different kind of
> coordination.
>
> It's interesting, the converse is apparently true as well. A certain
> heldentenor on this list (who is participating on this very thread ;-)
once
> told me he felt his former countertenoring interfered with his development
> as a dramatic tenor voice.
>
> Tako

Hmm, this rings a bell. In my pre-tenor days as a choral baritone, I was
often called upon to cover alto. I definitely considered myself a
falsettist in this role, although my falsetto was quite powerful, had
vibrato, and I had dynamics (so maybe not what Tako would call true
falsetto). This mechanism really interfered when I made the switch to
tenor. I found that if I ever "cheated" on a piano note above the
passaggio, then I subsequently found it far more difficult to sing the same
note in true head voice (or even mix). Now I try to avoid this falsetto
mechanism like mad, otherwise it still creates real problems for me.

Colin Reed, tenor
Newark, UK

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10229 Choosing registration in high notes:Re: David Dan John Alexander Blyth   Tue  3/13/2001   4 KB
10240 Re: David Daniels speaks on the CT voice/Was it f Martti Savijoki   Wed  3/14/2001   3 KB

emusic.com