Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  4:46 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] When and IF will it happen ?

deliamay@h... wrote:

> Dear Mike and to everyone who has responded to this poor fach-less
> soprano. I tried this morning to make an exagerated Opera sound and
> was joined shortly after by a woman in the apartment below singing
> neapolitan-style, a barking dog and was that the faint siren of a
> police car……?

I can relate. I remember when I used to live in a townhouse
apartment, I would practice upstairs in the bedroom rather
than downstairs with the living-room piano so as not to
disturb the neighbors below and the neighbors nextdoor who
might be dining or watching TV (I tried to do this no later
than 8:00 pm). So I'm practicing in the bedroom, and make a
siren sound as in my lesson. Before I started the next note,
I heard the same sound back from next door. The little kid
(4 or 5 years old) was imitating me! It was embarassing,
and also funny. I figured he was learning good vocal
technique, too, and kept right on practicing there.

> I do feel a bit inhibited practising at home and this is probably why
> I am not making fast progress. Also I probably need a pushier
> teacher - still, i can't really expect someone else to drag it out of
> me can I ?

If you want your teacher to be more demanding of you, you
should ask. Dialogues like that with teachers are good
things. Just be specific as to what you mean by "pushier" -
do you want to be pushed to memorize your words and music
more quickly? Pushed to learn a greater quantity of music?
Pushed to practice longer or better? Pushed to sing in
public more?

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...