Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
"Elizabeth Finkler" <mightymezzo@h...>
Date:  Tue Mar 13, 2001  2:37 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] miking/enhancing in opera?

>From: Isabelle Bracamonte <ibracamonte@y...>
>To: vocalist-temporary@yahoogroups.com
>Subject: [vocalist] miking/enhancing in opera?
>Date: Mon, 12 Mar 2001 08:50:05 -0800 (PST)
>
>Quoting from another post:
>
> > And on a similar subject, the Alagnas were involved
> > recently in a contract cancellation dispute,
> > allegedly because the opera house refused to use
> > some sort of voice enhancing equipment that the
> > Alagnas use regularly all over the world.
>
>Okay, does anybody know the answer to these rumors of
>secret miking? I have heard from good authority
>(singers in the San Francisco opera chorus) that SF
>uses an elaborate system of "enhancing" their stars.
>SF administration vigorously denies that any miking
>system is used.

Well, I can tell you first-hand that there are no mikes used at Opera San
Jose, Bay Shore Lyric Opera, Golden Gate Opera or Pocket Opera. I am 98%
sure none are used at West Bay Opera or Townsend Opera Players. Maybe those
Vocalisters who have actually stepped on the War Memorial Opera House stage
can enlighten us as to SFO. (Sally? Tina?)

Don't know about Kathleen Battle at the Met, but I can tell you she wasn't
miked at the Academy of Music for appearances with the Philadelphia
Orchestra.

And, oh yeah, for my views on so-called "enhancement, visit
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/SOBManifesto

Elizabeth Finkler
Rainyvale (formerly "Sunnyvale"), California
http://home.earthlink.net/~mightymezzo/
mightymezzo@h...

"If you must be wrong, then be wrong at the top of your voice!" --Lucy Van
Pelt