Vocalist.org archive

From:  Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Leslie Jones <LJones@s...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  9:47 pm
Subject:  Re: NATS competition yesterday

At 07:49 PM 3/12/01 +0000, John Link <johnlink@c...> wrote:
>Imthurn Melinda wrote:
> >By the time I left the studio I was in seriously bad
> >vocal condition. Bless those teachers who can bring
> >us back from places like that and help us to trust a
> >teacher again!
>
>While it is important to be able to trust a teacher, I think the more
>important thing is to trust oneself. Discomfort or pain ALWAYS
>indicates trouble, and trusting oneself requires that we not act
>contrary to our own sensations. If you make a practice of doing,
>according to your own comfort, your best approximation of what you
>understand your teacher's instructions to be, you will be on your way
>to trusting yourself. And if a teacher insists that you act contrary
>to your comfort, you know what sort of teacher you are dealing with.

One of the challenges we face as singers and as teachers is trying to
distinguish between a sensation that's "uncomfortable" simply because it's
different from what we've experienced before and something that
"uncomfortable" as in discomfort/pain. Part of our technical training as
singers is learning to listen both to our heads and to our instincts.

Leslie (just beginning to resurface after an 8-week production period
on our biennial theatre-music-dance-departments' extravaganza...)

Leslie Jones, D.M.A.; contralto
Asst. Professor, Dept. of Music
Southeast Missouri State Univ.
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339
LJones@s... - (573) 651-2339

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10198 uncomfortable vs. non-habitual John Link   Tue  3/13/2001   3 KB

emusic.com