Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  8:25 pm
Subject:  What's a countertenor?

Karen Mercedes <dalila@R...> wrote:

> Could it be that the countertenor "falsetto" is more closely aligned to
> the soprano's "whistle register" than to the "falsetto" that most other
> men use - i.e., in terms of intensity and focus of the sound?

I'm not certain of the mechanism of flageolet, but I thought it was
mechanically similar to regular soprano head voice, just with even less
mass on the vibrating bodies. There are a number of soprano countertenors
who seem to have a flageolet-like extension to their countertenor voices,
though, so would that mean that register is a flageolet to a flageolet? :-)

My gut sense is that my normal CT technique is analogous (within limits) to
the head voice a mezzo uses, and that if I had an upper extension, it would
be analogous to a woman's flageolet. Of course, they're not exactly the
same in practice or timbrally, because my larynx is a fair bit larger than
a woman's, and my vocalis muscle is longer and thicker.

In terms of the action of thinning out and shortening the vibrating section
of the folds, though, I think that is what happens in male and female
voices after the first passagio.

Tako

emusic.com