Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  7:27 pm
Subject:  David Daniels speaks on the CT voice/Was it falsetto?

Oberon603@a... wrote:
> He thinks that he sang with this technique so extensively that the
> musculature in his throat got use to it; hence this musculature
> couldn't sustain the different tensions one feels when one sings as a
> tenor.

Thanks, Ken! Very interesting. I have to say I can utterly relate. When I
have to sing 1st tenor for even a few minutes (the Episcopalian ATB chorus
I was in often switched to TTBB for certain anthems), it takes a while for
my brain to rewire into alto mode again. It is a very different kind of
coordination.

It's interesting, the converse is apparently true as well. A certain
heldentenor on this list (who is participating on this very thread ;-) once
told me he felt his former countertenoring interfered with his development
as a dramatic tenor voice.

Tako

emusic.com