Vocalist.org archive

From:  Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Tako Oda <toda@m...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  5:20 pm
Subject:  falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Countertenor hogs

John Link <johnlink@c...> wrote
> >RE: David Daniels: I'd probably say medium-lyric countertenor.
>
> So, according to your previous post, I would conclude that you think
> he doesn't use falsetto. It is my impresion that he does, because
> when I sing along with a CD of his he and I don't sound all that
> differrent (I mean that it seems like we're using our voices the same
> way).

There is a big difference in how something sounds (esp on a recording) and
what is actually going on in the larynx. Not counting the singer's formant
(which is present in Daniels' voice) there is similarity in tone between
falsetto and male light head voice, probably because both are resonating in
a man's vocal tract. The actuation of the tone, however, is different.
Falsetto is made on loose cords at full length. Head voice requires a
shortened vibrating length and muscular tension, and full closure during
each cycle.

Consider the similar sounds of col legno and regularly bowed violins. Both
are recognizably "violinesque", because the resonant space of the violin is
so unique. Both are beautiful, but only one carries in a hall.

Remember a recording is not the real thing!

Tako

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10175 Falsetto in countertenors thomas mark montgomery   Mon  3/12/2001   2 KB
10181 Re: Falsetto in countertenors Tako Oda   Mon  3/12/2001   3 KB
10234 Re: falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Cou Axwell@a...   Wed  3/14/2001   3 KB
10243 Re: falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Cou John Alexander Blyth   Wed  3/14/2001   5 KB
10248 Re: falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Cou thomas mark montgomery   Wed  3/14/2001   3 KB
10253 Defending Countertenors WAS: falsetto/head voice Tako Oda   Wed  3/14/2001   5 KB
10235 Re: falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Cou David Grogan   Wed  3/14/2001   4 KB
10236 Re: falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Cou Greypins@a...   Wed  3/14/2001   2 KB
10246 Re: falsetto/head voice in Countertenors WAS: Cou David Grogan   Wed  3/14/2001   3 KB

emusic.com