Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  4:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] NATS competition yesterday

Imthurn Melinda wrote:

>By the time I left the studio I was in seriously bad
>vocal condition. Bless those teachers who can bring
>us back from places like that and help us to trust a
>teacher again!

While it is important to be able to trust a teacher, I think the more
important thing is to trust oneself. Discomfort or pain ALWAYS
indicates trouble, and trusting oneself requires that we not act
contrary to our own sensations. If you make a practice of doing,
according to your own comfort, your best approximation of what you
understand your teacher's instructions to be, you will be on your way
to trusting yourself. And if a teacher insists that you act contrary
to your comfort, you know what sort of teacher you are dealing with.

Be well,
John Link

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet