Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Date:  Mon Mar 12, 2001  5:50 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] When and IF will it happen ?

--- Greypins@a... wrote:
> Standard Time,
> deliamay@h... writes:
>
> << I tried this morning to make an exagerated
> Opera sound and
> was joined shortly after by a woman in the
> apartment below singing
> neapolitan-style, a barking dog and was that
> the faint siren of a
> police carâ€|â€|?
> I do feel a bit inhibited practising at home
> and this is probably why
> I am not making fast progress. Also I probably
> need a pushier
> teacher - still, i can't really expect someone
> else to drag it out of
> me can I ? >>
>
> delia,
>
> i suspect you already know the answer to
> your original question. i
> always tell my chicken students that the single
> most important thing they
> need to do to sing well is to fully intend to
> do so. a lot of people can
> get away with the wrong answer simply by
> intending it to work. the 'right
> answer' to whatever the question is, is always
> definite. flinching at the
> right idea makes it wrong automatically.
>
> there are so many muscles involved with
> producing the voice that you'll
> never have real good feel for. these muscles
> react to 'target' and they
> don't know the difference between a fear and a
> request. i will often ask my
> students "what are you trying to do?" and they
> respond with "i'm trying NOT
> to...(whatever dumbass thing they are most
> afraid of. btw, you wouldn't
> want to drive with any of these people.
> apparently, they'd rather die than
> look a little stupid.).
>
> there are two sayings i find myself saying
> the most- "he who hesitates
> is lost!" and "fake what you can, do what you
> have to!" i hope they
> encapsule the point i have been trying to make.
>
> or as the nike commercial goes "just do
> it!"
>
> good luck (and make it your goal to get someone
> to call the police on you.),
> mike

WEll STATED Mike! I tell my students the SAME
thing. Don't give up before you jump off
the diving board! If you don't really believe
you
can produce the sound or effect you definitely
will not get the desired result. i have a young
but very round lyric soprano i'm training and
she winces every time we get past the passagio.
I tell her you must fall in love with
your own sound. Bask in it.
As in sports follow through think the desired
result and revel in the afterglow. :-)
Sincerely,
Nancy Fontana

=====