Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Sun Mar 11, 2001  8:59 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: ulcerative colitis, relaxation, and related questions

>Next, John Link, I've heard of Feldenkrais and enjoyed visiting the web site
>you recommended. One question it didn't answer is how it differs from
>Alexander Technique, which I've been studying for several years.

I've only taken a few Alexander classes and once I had a private
lesson with an Alexander teacher who had previously been a
Feldenkrais practitioner, so I'm not the best one to answer about the
Alexander Technique. Still, here are my impressions, based on my
experience and what I've heard from my students:

Feldenkrais Method

1) Group mode in which all participants are active.

2) Wide range of movements used, from small to large (e.g, lifting
and lowerng a single finger, going from lying on the back to sitting
by rolling through the side, going from standing to sitting on the
floor in a spiral, going up into and down from a headstand).

3) Pedagogy oriented toward systematically exploring a wide range of
variations.

Alexander Technique

1) No distinct group mode. Group classes are semi-private lessons in
which the students take turns having the attention of the teacher.

2) Small repertoire of movements used (standing up from and sitting
down onto a chair).

3) Pedagogy oriented toward rehearsing correct action.

> (I also
>practice yoga. It just goes to show you that relaxation techniques are only
helpful if you actually use them to relax!!)

Although I suggested the Feldenkrais Method because of what someone
else wrote about the importance of relaxation, the Feldenkrais Method
is not primarily a relaxation technique. If it were, I wouldn't be
making a career of it for myself. Instead, the Feldenkrais Method is
a way to learn to organize oneself effectively for action, and that
includes moving in a way that is relaxed.

Be well,
John Link

P.S. I've just put together a Feldenkrais page for myself. See the
link below. And in case you missed it previosly, here is a link to a
two-part article I wrote about Feldenkrais for singers:

http://www.themestream.com/gspd_browse/author/view_author_info.gsp?auth_id=70698\
1

http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkFeldenkrais
http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet