Vocalist.org archive

From:  Barry Bounous <bounousb@i...>
Date:  Fri Apr 21, 2000  9:01 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Men Belting?

Trevor Allen wrote:

> Can men belt? I know some women can, some women mix.
> But can a man's voice belt? I know I have a darker,
> fuller voice and can "lighten up" for songs. Is this
> the equivalent of mixing? And I can also use what I
> consider to be my belt, but I've been told by several
> people that men don't belt. Can someone shed some
> light on the situation?
>
> Trevor

In my teaching experience there are a variety of belt-like sounds that men
can make from a vowel-modified musical theater sound to a complete belt.
True belt in the male voice doesn't really kick in till you are quite
high. My best male belt student usually sang an easy mix up to the G above
middle C, then switched to a quasi-belt (or heavier mix) to about the Bb
and finally to a paint-peeling belt which he could carry to nearly a
soprano high c (R&B ornaments, wails, etc.; - sustained tones were possible
to about the F above the tenor high C.) He had an unusual voice.
Typically lower male voices don't get out of mix or quasi-belt. Most tenor
voices will find belt around a G above middle C and take it up to a high D
or so.

--
Dr. Barry Bounous
Brigham Young University