Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Sun Mar 11, 2001  2:24 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: ulcerative colitis and singing

nancy,

i still find the idea that singers' overuse of their abdominal muscles,
as a cause of colitis, to be hard to believe. i have had the odd fortune to
know a number of kick-boxers, one who had been the new england regional
champion. if anyone gets the abdominal muscles overused, not to mention
abused, it is a fighter. i have never heard of anyone who is a fighter
developing ulcerative colitis as a result of the use and abuse of their
abdominal muscles.

i used to workout with one of these fighters (until i developed more
sense) and we didn't even do the hitting (that would have been a good test
for my skills as a sprinter, as in running like hell in the other direction).
nothing i have ever done singing has ever come remotely close to the work i
did with him nor, for that matter, any other form of strenuous exercise. i
would even say that something as benign as a golf swing puts far more stress
on the abdominal muscles.

while the dietary adjustments for colitis make a lot of sense to me, the
working of the abdominal muscles as a cotributing factor does not.

mike

emusic.com