Vocalist.org archive

From:  Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Nancy Fontana <cantabella_nf@y...>
Date:  Sun Mar 11, 2001  12:33 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] MED: ulcerative colitis and singing

--- Greypins@a... wrote:
> Standard Time,
> cantabella_nf@y... writes:
>
> << Singers have a greater
> propensity to this problem due to the unusual
> uses of our body so we actually can create the
> problem. >>

Hi Mike----
When I first started with this problem, I was
referred to a Dr. Elliot Schneider in Calif.
(my hometown) who treats singers and
Orators as the bulk of his Clientelle. And
he said in his experience "singers have a
greater propensity because they USE their
lower abdominal muscles in a Larger capacity
than does a "regular" guy. In my years working
with musicians and dancers, every
"physical art form has it's own set of extreme
uses that contribute to physical problems".
In my own case the problem came not necessarily
from JUST singing........but the
complication of having upper - respiratory
sinus and bronchial problems in conjunction
with "larger that life singing" i.e. "larger
than
life" use of certain musculature of the body.

> nothing in the rest of your post baffles
> me. i have a friend with
> crohn's disease who found all the medical
> treatment to be a dead end and only
> some green junk helped him.

Right On Brotha!

it also seems
> sensible to me that 'bad eating'
> has to be, at least, part of these types of
> problems.

Yes.....more so when you eat vs. when you
sing (the time between the two).

if you were talking
> about taking the idea of
> appogio to 'being like defecating', too far, i
> should think that would lead
> to hemorrhoids before it would lead to anything
> else.

I personally never had a hemorrhoid problem
and I agree that that problem would occur if
the appogio was takent too far.
there is a small
> number of singers who think that clenching
> one's cheeks (not the ones on your
> face) together aids in support.

I find for women ( who generally have weak
abdominals) this technique is especially
effective for high notes and yes, I use it in
ONLY my Operatic singing technique. It earned me
the reputation of "the girl with the
Killer B Flat" :-)

> i'm not challenging your ideas on this.
> i'm just astonished at the
> possibility and, given my finite knowledge,
> can't begin to imagine how this
> could be possible.

That's COOL

Back to Dr. Schnieder.....my information was
from his years of "fixing" vocal professionals.

I enjoy sharing with Y'all!

> mike

=====
Nancy Fontana