Vocalist.org archive

From:  LikeSoMuchFish@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 20, 2000  7:22 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Men Belting?

In a message dated 4/20/00 2:06:36 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
trevorjamesallen@y... writes:

> Can men belt? I know some women can, some women mix.
> But can a man's voice belt? I know I have a darker,
> fuller voice and can "lighten up" for songs. Is this
> the equivalent of mixing? And I can also use what I
> consider to be my belt, but I've been told by several
> people that men don't belt. Can someone shed some
> light on the situation?
>

> Trevor

Belting is a calling voice . I don't see why men can't have it. I have not
however heard the term "belter" applied to men. At theatrical auditions,whre
the sexes are divided,the men are generally grouped as one: Male singers. The
womens auditions are however divided: Women Legit and Belters.
My voice teacher is an expert on belting.He teaches legit singers to belt for
the broadway stage ( Bel Canto Can Belto) I will see him later and ask.

:jc

emusic.com