Vocalist.org archive

From:  promero@w...
promero@w...
Date:  Sat Mar 10, 2001  5:47 pm
Subject:  Mature Voice, Young Voice.

Hello everybody, I am new to the list. My name is Pablo and I am
21, I am in my second year with a teacher here in North Carlina
(previously I had sang in a choir for 4 years) and, although fachs
(or guessing the fach) can be subject to change as maturity sets in,
as it is I may be a lyric tenor.
My questions is in regards to the maturity of the voice. I am
told the voice matures at around age 25 to 27 , so the question is:
what is usually expected at age 21? in respects of range, placement
and technique?
I've just started to correct one of my acquired vices of placing
too much tension and weight on my voice, the current Aria I have been
working on is "Dalla Sua Pace", and my first breakthrough came on
Friday during my lesson when I put into practice what Ive been trying
to get at: my pitch stayed accurate through most of the aria (except
twice during the passage where it transitions from F natural to E,
where I still place too much weight on my voice and the pitch
naturally goes down to an Eb instead of an E), but I guess what
always worries me is the quality of my voice and what I consider is
still an immature quality to it-- but time takes care of that, i
guess.
Does anyone have any advice considering the placement for the
passaggio? During my warmup excercises I can go up to A#, but during
repertoire it is almost an impossible task (intervals and consonants
getting in the way).

One last question: Does anyone consider the book by Professor
Marafioti (The Scientific Culture of the VOice) a worthwhile
reference?

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10110 Re: Mature Voice, Young Voice. gsanders@b...   Sat  3/10/2001   2 KB

emusic.com