Vocalist.org archive

From:  Mezzoid@a...
Date:  Thu Apr 20, 2000  7:17 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist-temporary] Men Belting?

In a message dated 04/20/2000 1:16:01 PM Central Daylight Time,
trevorjamesallen@y... writes:

<< Can men belt? I know some women can, some women mix. But can a man's
voice belt? I know I have a darker, fuller voice and can "lighten up" for
songs. Is this
the equivalent of mixing? And I can also use what I consider to be my belt,
but I've been told by several people that men don't belt. >>

Well, at the workshop in Miami, Neil Semer stated that men don't belt; and
others said that African-American men can belt ... there are singers that I
hear that sound like they are belting to me ... perhaps the male equivalent
of belting is singing in the mix but using the "belt vibrato" (straight tone
with vibration at the end). What do others think?

Christine Thomas
Mezzo-Soprano
Wauwatosa, WI

"I love to sing-a, about the moon-a and the June-a and the spring-a"

emusic.com