Vocalist.org archive

From:  Oberon603@a...
Oberon603@a...
Date:  Sat Mar 10, 2001  2:47 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Countertenor Taboo (was: silence of the lambs (errr... list))

In a message dated 3/9/2001 1:27:40 PM Eastern Standard Time, toda@m...
writes:

> Now, I have to ask this question... your statement almost suggests that a
> lutesong countertenor (or pop or choral) should not be included in
> discussions on this list. I know that's not what you mean, but it brings up
> a subtle assumption I think many of us carry. The culture of vocalist
> considers anything none operatic is somewhat off-topic. This is not to say
> all of us feel this way, but there are enough who do that it doesn't always
> feel like home to me.

Noooooooo. I didn't mean to say that non operatic singers were of no use to
this list, or are not welcome. All I was trying to do was make a point that
not all CT's fall under the same fach; or that a lot of the new guys don't
fit the stereotype ( "Small instrument, only suited to choral music, church,
or lute songs".)
Many people who have not been CT educated carry this stereotype with them;
even worse, some don't think it's real singing. I'm a dye hard fan of the
operatic CT's Tako (and trying get a solid enough technique to become one),
you should know that. Of course I'm going to reference operatic singers.
Your not going to hear me start a query on how to belt in the high chest.
That's not what I'm training to do. However I welcome every singer of every
style/fach/voice type. We all share one thing in common, a love for singing.
If the people feel the way you say, perhaps they should start participating
more, or start their own discussions. Is there anything that we could do to
make the "non-classical" singers on the list feel more welcome?

Best,
Ken

emusic.com