Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
"Tako Oda" <toda@m...>
Date:  Fri Mar 9, 2001  10:44 pm
Subject:  Re: Countertenor hogs & common ground with Contralti

--- In vocalist-temporary@y..., Karen Mercedes <vocalist-temporary@y..., Karen Mercedes < > no such thing as a TRUE alto/contralto. That we were all just lazy
> sopranos.

I feel such empathy for contraltos! There was a heated thread I
started last year, when I defended the validity of the term "female
bass" which exists in barbershop and modern acappella circles. Another
member argued that the term bass should be reserved for men because
that is the current operatic use of that word. Ah, Eurocentrism!

It's pathetic the lot that contralti get, the met roster doesn't
usually even have a Contralto registry, just sopranos and mezzos. How
is it that they list countertenors but not contraltos? Sexism?
Nah... couldn't be!

Tako

PS: I'll talk about types of countertenors in my next message.

emusic.com