Vocalist.org archive

From:  gwyee@r...
gwyee@r...
Date:  Fri Mar 9, 2001  7:09 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] ack! a crack!

Hi Molly and fellow Vocalistmates,

I was sitting just 20-30 feet in front of Sanford Sylvan as he was
performing his solo part in the Carmel Bach festival a couple of years ago.
[I think it was the Christmas Oratorio; not sure now]. He was singing a
rising line that culminated on an |I| [or maybe it was |i|; not sure now].
I recall the feeling of beauty, very clean singing; and with great passion;
the line notes rising...then "craaack". I don't think more than a very few
noticed it. I did because I was studying his singing technique, trying to
lap up every drop I could. His facial expression suddenly changed to
surprise, but only for the briefest microsecond, then back to his usual
demeanor. The rest of his performance was flawless. I suspect he got
lulled by the beauty of the music and lost concentration. What I was
particularly impressed by was his professionalism: the way he quickly just
let it go, and moved on.

GWendel, DT

At 11:25 AM 3/9/01 -0600, Molly McLinden wrote:
>Hey list,
>
>I just did my junior recital on Wednesday night. Perfectionism is not
>allowing me to be happy with my overall performance.
>You see, something happened to me that never happened to me in public
>performance before: I made a HUGE crack in my "Sure on this Shining Night"
>by Barber. I don't know how it came about. Actually, I do.
>regardless of the water I was drinking, my dry throat gave up for a moment
>and panicked.
>
>What can I say but "oy!" A few friends told me they noticed it..only when I
>confessed my humiliation, of course....and I can't help but hope that crack
>didn't destroy their opinion of my singing...especially since I believed I
>nailed "donde lieta".
>Anyway. This is why I am venting this out to you all: please humor me and
>tell me you saw some fabulous divas and divos perform live, crack, and yet
>they didn't destroy the evening for you. I can't believe how I am letting
>this get to me...lol
>Any "crack" anecdotes will make me feel much better.....
>
>Molly

  Replies Name/Email Yahoo! ID Date Size
10074 Re: ack! a crack! John Link   Fri  3/9/2001   3 KB

emusic.com