Vocalist.org archive

From:  Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Margaret Harrison <peggyh@i...>
Date:  Fri Mar 9, 2001  6:42 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] Countertenor Taboo (was: silence of the lambs (errr... list))

Tako Oda wrote:

I know that's not what you mean, but it brings up
> a subtle assumption I think many of us carry. The culture of vocalist
> considers anything none operatic is somewhat off-topic. This is not to say
> all of us feel this way, but there are enough who do that it doesn't always
> feel like home to me.

That assumption is news to me! The only things I consider
"off-topic" are those that have nothing to do with singing
or music or performing. I think health discussions are also
on-topic, because our bodies are our intruments!

But I draw the line at discussions of American politics
(other than its relationship to music, singing or
performing), partially because it is off-topic, but mostly
because not all of our participants are American, and I
think it's rude to assume that everyone here is interested
in American politics. And I also draw the line at personal
attacks, deliberate rudeness, and profane language.

Personally, I have always enjoyed the counter-tenor
discussions, and whoever made the crack that counter-tenor
discussions are taboo is way off-base in my opinion. In the
past, some expressed their weariness with the same material
being discussed over and over, but that doesn't bother me,
because hopefully we have new members all the time for whom
old topics ARE new. And more power to them!

So if there are singing discussions back-stage, I wish
they'd come back here ('cause I don't have time to read
another list).

Peggy

--
mailto:peggyh@i...