Vocalist.org archive

From:  "Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
"Kevin Hollis" <khollis@m...>
Date:  Fri Mar 9, 2001  1:33 pm
Subject:  Open Source Opera

A thought :-

I'm currently singing through an (another) appalling Schirmer English
translation, this time Macbeth with Bristol Opera and a thought occurred to
me. Combining ideas from computer programming and opera, how about 'Open
Source Opera' translations.

The libretti would be published on the web and used with no royalties.
Performing rights would be 'owned' by a central body with the only condition
for use that any changes also be published as 'open source' and that no
money may be made from publishing the libretti. (Could even crib the
agreement from Linux.) That way the libretti would be under constant edit by
whoever was interested and multiple new and improved versions produced.

This would :-
Save amateur companies money in performing rights.
Produce a wealth of better translations than the current crap, completely
missing the meaning, versions that are often resorted to.

Just thought I'd throw the idea, I don't have the time or skill to actually
do anything about it ! Perhaps there are enough self-written versions from
those vocalisters who's companies have re-written whole operas for vocalist
to have a go on it's site.

Kevin. - still a month and a half behind on the list
ails:(

emusic.com