Vocalist.org archive

From:  John Link <johnlink@c...>
John Link <johnlink@c...>
Date:  Fri Mar 9, 2001  4:06 am
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] students with pitch problems

Reg Boyle wrote:

> I have a different view of this problem. It's my
>experience that pitch problems are invariably tied in with
>technique. There is a greater number of defective ways of
>making a tone than there are healthy ones. It stands to
>reason that beginners and choristers will often be habitually
> involved in using one of the defective ones.
> This physical stress tends to create conflicts
>with the feed-around loop that will only be resolved when
>the method of production is fixed.

Reg,

I agree with what you say except for the last word, for which I would
substitute "freed" (since the defective ways of producing tone
typically involve fixing, i.e., making inflexible, the method of
production, and what is required is to free it. Another substition I
would accept for "fixed" is "improved".

Just as I suggested to Tenore Lirico that he abandon his attempt to
sing correctly, I suggest abandoning the attempt to fix the way one
sings.

Having a good time here on this very active list,
John Link

The John Link Vocal Quintet is now on mp3.com!
Visit http://www.mp3.com/JohnLinkVocalQuintet.

10047 Re: students with pitch problems Reg Boyle   Fri  3/9/2001   2 KB

emusic.com