Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Greypins@a...
Date:  Thu Mar 8, 2001  2:16 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] placement vs tension

In a message dated 3/8/2001 3:10:49 AM Eastern Standard Time,
tenorelirico@e... writes:
tenorelirico@e... writes:

<< I'm working on getting the voice out of my throat (so to speak). The
trouble I'm
having is being able to distinguish when and if I'm trying to help this
placement by using my tongue/throat.
Are there any clues I could possibly look for to help ascertain whether or
not I
am doing it correctly?>>

you could try holding your tongue (gently) and see if there are places
where you have a tendency to pull the tongue back (you would feel the tug).

<<The other question that directly ties into this is I sometimes try to make
sure my throat is as open as possible during onsets, yet it feels that the
tone doesn't go as forward/high in the hard pallet area. Is this normal? Is
there a way to find a balance?>>

it is hard to say that one perception of placement is correct. it is
impossible to compare perceptions and, therefore, impossible to say that two
people doing the same thing experience it the same way.

in trying to create space, if you feel your throat muscles 'opening', i
think you are just feeling them flexing. if this is the case, you are just
making your throat tense and calling it space. after all, space has no
sensation.

mike

emusic.com