Vocalist.org archive

From:  Greypins@a...
Date:  Mon Feb 11, 2002  5:08 pm
Subject:  Re: [vocalist] RE: Breathing

In a message dated 2/11/2002 11:57:18 AM Eastern Standard Time,
LeaAnn@k... writes:

> When you talk about surfing the wave of breath...that sounds to me like
> singers who exhale evenly and that is what you would want to happen. I
> think that this is a problem area, many people with breathing problems
> aren't surfing a wave...they are wiping out before they ever get on the
> board (heh heh heh)

no, this is wrong. breath flow is different for different pitches
and different volumes. you might want to see if you can get a hold of some
pictures of what the vocal folds look like in various states (low notes, high
notes, breathing, not breathing) and, realizing that all breath passes
through these 'lips of the throat', you might get a very different picture of
the role of breath in singing.

mike

emusic.com